Why isn't there a guide or instruction manual for this game?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why isn't there a guide or instruction manual for this game?

Post  LegionKingAizen on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:10 am

Why isn't there a guide or instruction manual for this game? This is the only game I've seen that had no official guide whatsoever. At a very list a list of what units belong to which race should be made. I see individual mini guides posted on the site, but I do not see a comprehensive guide that covers all the races and units.

LegionKingAizen
Peewee
Peewee

Posts : 2
Join date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Why isn't there a guide or instruction manual for this game?

Post  mama04 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:04 am

someone should list towers and give them rating from 1 to 10. would be useful

mama04
Peewee
Peewee

Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-08-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Why isn't there a guide or instruction manual for this game?

Post  Nortan on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:44 pm

It's not as simple as rating them. It's hard to give them a number when how good some are depends largely upon what else you have to work with.

For example: zues with bad tanks might be 6/10, with amazing tanks 8/10 and with amazing tanks as well as meliai 25% debuff 10/10. Same thing goes for meridians of course. Also you shouldn't even TOUCH darkpriest/meridians until after lvl 17 usually so a rating isn't going to tell you useful information like that. Blasters are the best melee units early game but at lvl 21+ thier strength seemingly disappears and they are just melee fodder like everything else. No rating is going to tell you that. If you simply aim for ~500 value on lvl 3 with alpha males/sabers you will probably leak 12+ even though those aren't really bad units; it's just that lvl 3 got buffed in 3.41 and alpha males/sabers have medium armor and piercing attack. It really helps to have a unit that can 1 hit each scorpion on lvl 3.

It's better to just give a moderate accessment of each. Sea giant and lord of death are the best units in the game in my opinion. They excel at tanking for long ranged units and can make a game very easy with good support/range. All dragon are crap in my opinion and the only reason I make them is to serve as fodder for my range to hide behind. I never waste money upgrading them unless I have to for lvl 13 or something. Minataur is crap too and I hate using it. I could go on and even give strategeys with units and such, but the only way you will learn this stuff is through first game experience. I've played ~1600 legion 3.3 - 3.41 games.

First starting out your team is not likely to be welcoming if you have no idea what you are doing and you should play offline somewhere (like on WC3 custom games if you play on WC3) or try to find information elsewhere. Otherwise they will probably complain about you not knowing what you're doing and even vote you out of the game. Usually if you aquire just an average ability to built and income your team won't bug you and it will be easier to get used to thing. It REALLY helps if you play with experience players and they can give you advice. It may also help to read game strategie guides BUT the game revolves around your ability to income and that requires a lot of knowledge about the units.

You need to know what can hold each level and allow you to hold with the lowest possible value so that you can income (make wisps and upgrade lumber). Unit placement is also really important sometimes and can be the difference between leaking and holding. You should almost always build in the back near the middle area (but try to avoid letting things reach the +2 armor dark green zone) and often against the wall depending on your units. The wall can make it harder for your early game melee to get surrounded and it leaves less room for things to run around your melee and get to your range. This way waves also take longer to get to your units and it can give your range more time to kill things while also making it easier to hold against sends (especially on lvl 1 - 3 and against mass militia on lvl 10). Building in the back can also let you SHARE aura units with your teammate above or below you if you are both experience and know to do those kinds of things.

avatar
Nortan
Neotank

Posts : 172
Join date : 2012-05-25
Age : 26
Location : U.S. Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Why isn't there a guide or instruction manual for this game?

Post  LegionKingAizen on Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:59 am

Nortan wrote:It's not as simple as rating them. It's hard to give them a number when how good some are depends largely upon what else you have to work with.

For example: zues with bad tanks might be 6/10, with amazing tanks 8/10 and with amazing tanks as well as meliai 25% debuff 10/10. Same thing goes for meridians of course. Also you shouldn't even TOUCH darkpriest/meridians until after lvl 17 usually so a rating isn't going to tell you useful information like that. Blasters are the best melee units early game but at lvl 21+ thier strength seemingly disappears and they are just melee fodder like everything else. No rating is going to tell you that. If you simply aim for ~500 value on lvl 3 with alpha males/sabers you will probably leak 12+ even though those aren't really bad units; it's just that lvl 3 got buffed in 3.41 and alpha males/sabers have medium armor and piercing attack. It really helps to have a unit that can 1 hit each scorpion on lvl 3.

It's better to just give a moderate accessment of each. Sea giant and lord of death are the best units in the game in my opinion. They excel at tanking for long ranged units and can make a game very easy with good support/range. All dragon are crap in my opinion and the only reason I make them is to serve as fodder for my range to hide behind. I never waste money upgrading them unless I have to for lvl 13 or something. Minataur is crap too and I hate using it. I could go on and even give strategeys with units and such, but the only way you will learn this stuff is through first game experience. I've played ~1600 legion 3.3 - 3.41 games.

First starting out your team is not likely to be welcoming if you have no idea what you are doing and you should play offline somewhere (like on WC3 custom games if you play on WC3) or try to find information elsewhere. Otherwise they will probably complain about you not knowing what you're doing and even vote you out of the game. Usually if you aquire just an average ability to built and income your team won't bug you and it will be easier to get used to thing. It REALLY helps if you play with experience players and they can give you advice. It may also help to read game strategie guides BUT the game revolves around your ability to income and that requires a lot of knowledge about the units.

You need to know what can hold each level and allow you to hold with the lowest possible value so that you can income (make wisps and upgrade lumber). Unit placement is also really important sometimes and can be the difference between leaking and holding. You should almost always build in the back near the middle area (but try to avoid letting things reach the +2 armor dark green zone) and often against the wall depending on your units. The wall can make it harder for your early game melee to get surrounded and it leaves less room for things to run around your melee and get to your range. This way waves also take longer to get to your units and it can give your range more time to kill things while also making it easier to hold against sends (especially on lvl 1 - 3 and against mass militia on lvl 10). Building in the back can also let you SHARE aura units with your teammate above or below you if you are both experience and know to do those kinds of things.


This is all true, but still it doesn't explain why there isn't a list of what units can be built by which race. Every I play with people who have no idea what race to pick for the units they like. They often end up guessing and disappointing. When people ask me where the official instructions to the game are, it feels ridiculous telling them no such thing exist.

LegionKingAizen
Peewee
Peewee

Posts : 2
Join date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Why isn't there a guide or instruction manual for this game?

Post  ba_fail on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:01 pm

I like dragons because they are air, they are extremely useful because if you have more units of the same range, the creeps end up splitting their attack and probably not killing either, also more units attacking.

The units that I feel are extremely good would be alchemist, and lord of death. Alchemist upgrade will give you so much lumber although they aren't as good at the end, Hades is good throughout the game and IMO the best late game unit

And this game is easy to become "good" at compared to others. I feel a guide isn't necessary, nor will it be easy to make. Telling people what to build early might be the best thing to do.

my first few games were a bit confusing, especially when I saw the building turned to units. I understand why a guide might be what people would want, but it just seems unlikely that it will be useful.

ba_fail
Peewee
Peewee

Posts : 3
Join date : 2012-09-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Why isn't there a guide or instruction manual for this game?

Post  NERV on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:41 am

LegionKingAizen wrote:When people ask me where the official instructions to the game are, it feels ridiculous telling them no such thing exist.

You have the quest menu in game, it could be a little more instrutcive and also looks like its not yet finished (??), or could have the loading screen with some rules or such, like the old versions of Lisk. But I think the Legion TD style is well known now a days, be in garena or in b.net.


What I think that would be nice is that someone could do a mine-guide further explaning the HuanAK income system, which is pretty different from other legion maps, and it might be harder than other legions. That would take some work out of HuanAk back's, because he have a life and stuff he is compromised to.

It would be easier if this forum had a bigger community. Seems kinda slow these days. But if anyone writes a good guide, i guess would be a nice addition to F9 button.


ba_fail wrote:
And this game is easy to become "good" at compared to others. I feel a guide isn't necessary, nor will it be easy to make. Telling people what to build early might be the best thing to do.

It is not a really hard game to comprehend, but I feel like the income system/wisp could have some info somewhere. But I don't even know how to start such a guide.
I agree that is hard to make a guide, because every match is different, in some you know you have to be overbuild in some levels because of enemy income, in other you know you won't receive any enemy income at all, and all that comes from playing and playing over and over again.
But overall, once you got yourself a reliable build, I agree that the first 10 levels are pretty much the same in any game.
avatar
NERV
Neotank

Posts : 262
Join date : 2011-09-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Why isn't there a guide or instruction manual for this game?

Post  Nortan on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:36 pm

NERV wrote:
It would be easier if this forum had a bigger community. Seems kinda slow these days. But if anyone writes a good guide, i guess would be a nice addition to F9 button.

I'm too lazy, you do it Sad . Good rules of thumb for me are 4/1 - 5/1 (7/1 with good elite archer use) for lvl 7 and 6/2 - 7/3 for lvl 10 that allows you to do a 7/4 - 7/5 push during/after lvl 10. Then push lumber during lvl 14 and lvl 17. After lvl 20 I try to get 6500+ value while holding a lumber of 7/10 - 7/12 or so. I rarely get 7/15 unless my teammates feed me or I'm using wolverines well.

I've found that it's generally bad to keep pushing to 7/15 at the cost of precious value/lumber at this point and that full value is the best option to prepare for the last levels. Often people waste lots of resources on those upgrades and then end up not even using the lumber as they save it or don't use it in time. These upgrades also hinder the growth of your income by using lumber and using every bit of lumber afterward for each level is important in order to recover all that you have used. It also leaves you near or below the recommended, putting you at leak risk (depending on units and sends). This entire concept is the HARDEST thing to teach players. I often see even experience players make mistakes like this after lvl 20.

Instead I keep way ahead of the recommended after 21 and am usually never at leak risk. 14000 - 15500 is my value range goal for lvl 28. I often see players that pushed 4 - 5 lumber upgrades during/after lvl 21 at 12000 - 13000 value (chances are they leaked a level or two along the way as well). Thier income passes mine by a little, but not nearly enough to close the large value gap they themselves created. Depending on how the game goes my end value usually ranges 18000 - 21000.

Knowing what to build and when to make wisps is something players usually need to learn through first hand experience or with the close help of someone already experienced.


Last edited by Nortan on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix quote)
avatar
Nortan
Neotank

Posts : 172
Join date : 2012-05-25
Age : 26
Location : U.S. Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Why isn't there a guide or instruction manual for this game?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum